Sunday, June 6, 2010

Gossip

Could you go just one day without gossiping or complaining? Half a day? Two days? A week? 

Survival of the fittest teaches us to gossip and complain. How can we know what is better or best if we have nothing to compare ourselves to? So we gossip and slander other people to prove that we are the best. We complain to let other's know how awful our situation is so they might either give us a helping hand, or feel sorry for us, accept us, sympathies, empathize, all so we might know we are "okay." 
Truly, our best source of reference is not the opinions or ears of our friends, but the scriptures. Why do we seek the approval of others? For the reasons I listed above. Since I've become a latter-day saint, I have found my scriptures to be a huge source of my strength. When I start to listen to other friends, especially those not of my faith, or even worse, those who were of my faith at one point but have chose to live alternative lives, my head starts to swarm with all sorts of bad feelings: jealousy, resentment, hurt, anger, confusion, bewilderment, hate. When I turn to my scriptures, I feel at peace, calm, tranquil, empowered, strong, confident, self assured. So why do we continue to turn to the opinions of others? The scriptures are designed to draw us closer to Heavenly Father, so I will let them. My source of happiness comes from above. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment