Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Post Office-too much control


Back in January of this year, I went to the post office to change my address from Arizona to New Mexico. It asked if it would be a permanent chance to a temporary one. I put permanent, just because I had no clue where I would be moving after I was done here in May. Being that I trust the girls I was living with, they said they would hold onto or mail my mail to me. However, the USPS decided to take things a step further, they went and informed every single company that I had changed my address. The next time I went to type in my Tucson zip code with my credit card it said, "not valid". No one told me the Post Office would be changing my address with everyone. Shouldn't there be some type of notice?? I mean, they even changed the address for my car insurance AND informed the state of Arizona that I am no longer a resident there, in turn, revoking my Arizona voting rights. Goodness! You know, anyone can go fill out a change of address form for anyone and just drop it in the mail. Highly illegal, but very very easy to do. Not so easy to do online, but easy to do if you get the paper copy and just drop it in the mail. How terrible is that? Something you think they would regulate just a little better. As long as I know your address and your first and last name, I can change all your address information-and in turn-the post office will change all your address information for all your banks, credit cards, car insurance, voter rights, any other important stuff that you have coming to your current address.
Wow, scary.
The part that really sucks is that I still don't have a permanent address. I've been moving around a lot, and don't know exactly where I will settle down. Using my parent's address is out of the question because I refuse to claim that I still live with them: I'm an independent woman.
Today I logged onto the USPS web site to see about changing everything to a P.O. box, however, in order to open a P.O. box, you need to have an address. UGH! In order to get a place to live, you need to have a previous address, in order to get a job you need to have an address. What about people who are like me? New location every 3-6 months? What the heck are we suppose to do? It just seems a little messed up. As if you are not a USA citizen unless you have some sort of permanent residence.
Jen's address: HER CAR!
You know what my next big goal is? Get a house. Something to call my own. I'm sick of moving my stuff from place to place and never having a place to call "home". Apartments suck. I want a house.


1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on that. only crappy part about SW is no W-2 income. and mortgage brokers REALLY LIKE W-2 income.

    ReplyDelete